Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Howard Gardner


After looking at all of the educational philosophers I can say that I would align myself and my beliefs with those of Howard Gardner. He has written a few books, and still speaks today about his theories and findings throughout his life. He grew up in Pennsylvania, and ended up attending the Phillips Academy, not all that far from Salem State. His theories and work is very interesting, and it all seems to be very valid too.

Howard Gardner is best known for his theory on multiple intelligences. He developed a list of seven different types of intelligences which he believed every human to have atleast one of, although most have more than that. There were three catgeories to these intelligences, ones valued in schools, ones valued in an art setting, and others known as personal intelligences. The seven intelligences are linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, bodily-kinisthetic, spacial, interpersonal, and intrapersonal. Garnder wrote about these in his book Frames of Mind, and believed that these were apparent in most cultures. Not everyone accepts his tehory but there have been many schools that have based their teachings around the idea of multiple intelligences.

I align myself with Gardner because I truly believe in this theory of multiple intelligences. I think every person is intelligent in one way or another even if they appear not to be. Having this variety of intelligences allows people to view others as intelligent in some way or another. For example you may have someone who isn't very logical or isn't very good with numbers, so they may not have a high logical-mathematical intelligence, but they may be the most skilled musician or performer, with a very high musical intelligence. Everyone is different which I think is waht makes Gardner's theory so acceptable. I can remember taking quizzes in psychology in high school, to show us which intelligences we possesed the most. I like Howard Gardner mainly because his theory makes sense to me where as other philosophers may confuse me.


No comments: